- Normative ethics (especially consequentialism)
- Applied ethics (especially military ethics and emerging technology)
- Social and political philosophy
- Office: Bldg. 47, Rm. 34P
- Phone: (805) 756-
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://calpoly.academia.edu/RyanJenkins
- Ph.D., University of Colorado Boulder
- B.A., Florida State University
- PHIL 231: Philosophical Classics: Ethics and Political Philosophy
- PHIL 322: Philosophy of Technology
- “Autonomous Vehicles Ethics & Law: Towards an Overlapping Consensus”. New America Foundation. September, 2016. Available at http://www.newamerica.org/digital-industries-initiative/policy-papers/autonomous-vehicles-ethics-law/.
- “Autonomous Machines, Moral Judgment, and Acting for the Right Reasons” (with Duncan Purves and Bradley Strawser). Ethical Theory and Moral Practice. Forthcoming.
- “Cyberwarfare as ideal war”. Forthcoming. Invited, peer-reviewed book chapter. Binary Bullets: The Ethics of Cyberwarfare, Oxford University Press. (eds. Bradley Strawser, Adam Henschke, and Fritz Allhoff.)
- “Is Stuxnet Physical? Does it matter?” Journal of Military Ethics. Volume 12, Issue 1. 2013.
- Anthologized in: Military Ethics and Emerging Technologies (2014). Timothy J. Demy, George R. Lucas Jr., Bradley J. Strawser (eds.). Routledge.
- “What’s the perfect driverless car? It depends who you ask”. TEDxCal Poly. Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. October, 2016.
- Presenter, “Autonomous Vehicles Ethics & Law: Towards an Overlapping Consensus”. New America Foundation “Digital Industries Initiative” roundtable series. September, 2016.
- Panel Moderator, “Ethical and Social Implications of Automated Vehicles: Values and Weights.” Automated Vehicles Symposium 2016. San Francisco, California, July, 2016.
- Participant, “Cyberwar, Ethics, and International Humanitarian Law” workshop hosted by International Committee of the Red Cross. Geneva, Switzerland, May, 2014.
- “Is Stuxnet Physical? Does It Matter?” Distinguished Speakers Series. United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO, April, 2013.
- “Don’t Fear the Reapers: A Moral Argument for Drone Strikes”. Think! Talk, University of Colorado. November, 2014. Public philosophy lecture series.
- “The Criterion of Right Intention and the Ends of War” (with Duncan Purves). International Society for Military Ethics 2014 Conference, South Bend, IN, October, 2014.
- “A rule-consequentialist in bello moral code”. Inaugural Conference on the Ethics of War in the 21st Century, Stockholm Centre for the Ethics of War and Peace, Stockholm, Sweden. May, 2014.
Selected Media Articles
- “The Ethics of Killer Robots”, E-International Relations, July 23, 2014. ￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼
- “When Is a Real-World Response to a Cyberattack Justifiable?” (with Fritz Allhoff), Slate, June 11, 2014.