Changing Your Major
Contact the chair of the Philosophy Department (email@example.com) in order to change your major to Philosophy. The process is surprisingly hassle-free.
Qualifying For Admission To The Philosophy Major Program
To qualify for admission to the Philosophy Major program, you must satisfy the qualification requirements of both the Philosophy Department and the College of Liberal Arts.
Philosophy Deparment Requirements
- Overall GPA of at least 2.5
- GPA in all philosophy classes taken at Cal Poly or elsewhere of at least 2.5
- Completion of PHIL 230 and PHIL 231 with GPA of at least 2.5
- Completion of GE Area A.3 course with a grade of “C” or higher
College of Liberal Arts Requirements
- Must not be within two quareters of graduation in your current major
- If you are adding Philosophy as a second major, doing so must not significantly delay your graduation date
In general, we admit all students who qualify into the Philosophy major program. However, certain circumstances, such as lack of resources, may preclude us from admitting students who meet all of the above criteria.
If you do not meet any of the above requirements, but your circumstances are exceptional and require special consideration, please contact the department chair.